Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Ending of an Era...

My sweet Mason has been going to a speech class twice a week since September, and it is very bitter-sweet for me. He has always had many unique speech patterns that have made it nearly impossible for anyone other than family and close friends to understand him. He will be starting Kindergarten next year, and I knew that his friends and teachers would need to be able to understand him, so I enrolled him in speech classes. Thankfully, he's at a stage in his development that I think he was just ready to learn. And thankfully, he's been very responsive to it and most of his speech patterns have been corrected. However....this means that the OH SO CUTE way he used to talk is going away, too. I must confess...I'm really going to miss it!

This should help give you a picture of where he was:

F's were S's, C's/K's were T's, G's were D's, R's were (and still are) W's, the "oy" sound was "ay", and there were a few others.

~ fire fighter truck = sire sighter sut
~ kitty kat = titty tat
~ gross = dwoss
~ karate = tawate
~ Merry Christmas = Mawy Smissmis
~ stinky feet = stinty seet
~ grandpa = bampa
~ grandma = damma
~ happy birthday = happy busday
~ happy Thanksgiving = happy saintsdibbing
~ one, two, three, four, five = one, two, see, sore, size
~ kung fu = tun soo
~ cutting = tutting
~ gorilla = dowilla
~ tiger = tida
~ boy = bay
~ toy = tay
~ that toy is for boys = dat tay is suh bays
~ God = Dod

Now, he the only one that he really still has trouble with is the "r" sound...which is very developmental. He slips up once in a while on some of the others, but he's pretty consistent. I'm SO proud of him, but my baby's not such a baby anymore. It is truly the ending of an era!

I hope this made you smile to read, as much as it made me smile to write!

2 comments:

  1. Love the counting the best!!!
    Brings to mind greasy gucks, yick your yips, deedee, frees, fractors and (trucks). Hold onto the memories. They mean the world.

    ReplyDelete