Sunday, October 11, 2009

Treats by Cakes

So, Treats by Cakes was/is my very short lived home-baking business. Here's the address to the totally free, and thus un-googleable website: http://treatsbycakes.googlepages.com/home

It all started when I baked for friends. I would get the semi-honest, yet somewhat obligatory "Ooh these are so good...you should sell this stuff" kinds of comments. Then one day...out of boredom, I sad down at the computer and found that free webpage creator. I was just messing around, so I wasn't willing to put any money into it. So, I let my family and my friends at school know about it. And low and behold...I actually got some orders! It was fun, but I felt very strange about accepting money from my friends. It was toward the end of the school year, and once summer came, it just sort of fizzled out.

I still get asked once in a while if I'm still doing my baking business. I reply, "Well, I'm still baking...the website's still out there...but no, not really...not lately anyway." And then they respond with the expected, "Oh, well...I'm thinking about maybe needing something in a few weeks or so. If I do, I'll let you know." Sure...sounds good. But it doesn't happen...no big deal.

I've had the opportunity to have a booth at the local chocolate festival. Unfortunately, I've never had the time/energy/money to get one set up. And even if I did, I fear that either nothing would come from it (which would feel like a big waste of time)....or too much would come from it (and I wouldn't be able to handle it). Sure, a little extra money would be nice. But most days, I barely have the energy to get through the school day, make dinner, grade papers, etc., etc. for my won family...let alone do a great deal of baking for other people if it really took off.

I still have a 1/2 page menu and a business card design ready at vistprint.com, if I ever decide to do more with it. But for now, it's nothing more than a hobby. I love baking, and I love sharing what I bake with the people I care about. Baking, for now, is jut an extension of my heart. And maybe I never really wanted it to become any more than that.

Anyway, that's that. Now, to gear up for the holiday baking season...YUM!!

1 comment:

  1. mmm...baking...


    Here's a blog you should check out: http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete