Friday, August 27, 2010

Chicken Vagina...

Ok, due to a sheer lack of brain power left for anything other than nonsense, I thought I would devote an entire blog post to something that I've mentioned several times in passing: mistaken lyrics.

Some of you might remember the story of my mom mistaking the Barenaked Ladies lyric, "Chickety China, the Chinese Chicken" for "Chicken Vagina the Chinese Chicken" and her shock and horror after hearing it. But I have a few others that I can't remember if I've posted on here or not.

But first, I have a link for a wonderful song for which almost none of the words are understandable (which allows for a rather hillarious and random translation)...Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam.


Much to Young by Garth Brooks = I heard "lonely women and baboons" but it was actually "lonely women and bad booze".

If I Didn't Have You by Randy Travis = I heard "I'd be floundering around like chimpanzee" but it was actually "I'd be floundering around like a ship at sea".

Don't Stop Believin' by Journey = Hannah heard "the smell of wine and sheep buffoon" but it was actually "the smell of wine and cheap perfume".


So that' it for me. I'm keeping it short and sweet today. But I'd LOVE it if you would post some of your own mistaken lyrics.

Go for it!

3 comments:

  1. I have so many of these! But this one doesn't even make sense. I thought the song was Americanadan (a mix of American and Canadan) but it was American Idiot.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been so many, where to start..?

    Heather just brought up the Flashdance theme song, "What a Feeling". Where it says "Take your passion, and make it happen", she used to think it was saying, "take your pants down and make it happen". That's my girl.

    I for one would always scratch my head at Skid Row lyrics. 18 and Life and Youth Gone Wild are a couple of examples of where Sebastian Bach's quick words had me saying, Huh? But a better example is the song by Manfred Mann's Earth Band, "Blinded By the Light". For years I heard the chorus as: "Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche in the middle of the night", when in reality it says, "revved up like a deuce,
    another runner in the night". I'm not really gullible enough to believe that I was right about the words, but despite the fact I thought it was odd and that there was no way that was right, that's what I heard. According to Wikepedia, I'm not the only one though.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinded_by_the_Light

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allstar by Smash Mouth..."she had her finger and her thumb in the shape of an L on her forehead..." My boys heard, "she had her finger in her bum!" I know, not surprising... -Shelly

    ReplyDelete