Thursday, July 8, 2010

Spiritual Favorites...

This post was inspired by my high school youth director (shout-out to Cathy). She posted one of these verses (the first one I listed) on her facebook page today. I was first introduced to that scripture in the weekly Bible study that she would have, and it has been one of may favorites ever since. Anyway, I thought I would post some of my other favorite scriptures/songs today, so here we go:



Bible Verses/Passages

Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice! Your kindness should be known to all. The Lord is near. Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. ~Philippians 4:4-7


I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. ~Philippians 4:13

I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
~Philippians 1:3-6

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever. ~Psalm 136:1

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. ~Matthew 5:3-10

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. ~Psalm 46:1

***As half of these are from Philippians, you may have guessed that it is my favorite book of the Bible. Even though Paul was in prison, he was just so thankful, joyous, and positive!


Songs
***Some of these are traditional hymns and some of these are the more modern "praise and worship" songs, but they are all worth a listen (or at least a Google for the lyrics).

: We Are Many Parts (goes with 1 Corinthians 12)
: On Eagle's Wings (goes with Isaiah 40:31)
: Lead Me Lord (goes with Matthew 5:1-12)
: As the Deer Pants for the Water (goes with Psalm 42:1)
: Your Love Endures: by Third Day
: Awesome God: by Michael W. Smith
: I Can Only Imagine: by Mercy Me
: Lord I Lift Your Name on High: by Sonicflood


I apologize to any of you who thought that this post was a little too "preachy"...that was not my intent. But for everyone else, I'd love it if you shared a few of your favorite verses/songs (or maybe even some thoughts about mine). I intentionally left off some from my lists (in what will probably prove to be a useless attempt at getting more comments), so please...share away!!

4 comments:

  1. I have so many....
    John 3:16...For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

    Psalm 23: The Lord is my Shepherd...

    Psalm 27:1 The Lord is my light and my salvation. Of whom should I be afraid?

    Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed you in the womb I knew you.

    Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

    Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8 To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven...

    I'll do some songs tomorrow, and maybe more verses as well. Great post, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back. Just wanted to say that I loved your selections and agree with all of them. They can all bring such comfort and strength. I remembered another verse last night and some song favorites. My songs are more traditional, the ones I grew up singing in church, but "I Can Only Imagine" has become one I love as well.

    John 14: 5-6 How can we know the Way? Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life." No one comes to the Father except through me.

    Songs:
    "How Great Thou Art" - especially sung by a strong tenor or baritone, a cappella

    "Here I Am, Lord"

    "Prayer of St. Francis" (Make me a channel of your peace...)

    "Amazing Grace" - especially after learning of its origins

    "O Holy Night" - and Christmas carols in general

    "Precious Lord, Take my Hand"

    "I, the Lord, am With You"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I am, Lord and Prayer of St. Francis are 2 of my other favorites...I was hoping you'd list them! Jeremiah 1:5 and John 14:5-6 are 2 that I thought about posting, too. Good ones, mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorte hymn has always been "Up from the Grave He Arose." My nana, family friend, loves "Are Ye Able", and a good friend our family, who recently passed away, loved "Children of the Heavenly Father".

    ReplyDelete