Monday, July 19, 2010

Baby Fever...

I'll start with a short little parody of Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher":

I've got it bad, got it bad, got it bad,
I got baby fever.
(guitar/drum break)
I've got it bad, SO bad,
I got baby fever!

So, there it is. I've had it for a while now (about a year), but it's been particularly strong in the last couple of months. I just can't get babies off of my mind. They seem to be everywhere I turn! Sometimes it will be cute babies at stores, church, or restaurants. Sometimes it will be pregnant women left and right (even friends and co-workers that I'm super excited for...and maybe a little bit jealous of). Now that both of my kids will be in school, I guess it's only natural. But still....as I said before, I've got it bad.

To make matters worse, the kids have a bit of baby fever, too. They've been playing with Hannah's dolls more frequently. Hannah keeps saying how she wishes she had a baby sister and Mason, of course, is wishing he had a baby brother. They've asked why I don't want more kids. I've tried to explain that I'd love to have another baby...that I always wanted to have more than 2 kids. But I just can't right now...that the medicine I have to take won't let me have another baby. You know how there memories are, though...they can't seem to remember, and they keep asking.

For those of you who don't already know, the medicine I'm taking is an oral chemotherapy drug. It is designed to target out any rapidly multiplying cells. This is great for destroying leukemia cells, but sadly, it would also have the same affect on a pregnancy. So, almost 4 years ago when I got diagnosed, Kevin and I accepted the fact that we would be a 2 child family for a while. (And we are SO incredibly blessed to have our 2 healthy kids.)

Anyhoo...the urge is there. As Yoda would say, "The force is strong with this one". Yes, there's always adoption. And I have always been very open to the idea of adoption. In fact, ever since seeing some 20/20 or 60 Minutes episode about Romanian orphanages where they were literally rolling in babies on bread trays...and babies that were old enough to sit up would just rock back and forth in their cribs, because they didn't have anyone to rock them, I've even half-joked about adopting a Romanian baby. Adoption, however, is expensive and not at all anything that we are in a position to do any time soon. Which brings us back to baby fever.

It's even playing a role in future career endeavors. I've been toying with the idea of going back to school and becoming a labor and delivery nurse. There's not really any other kind of nursing that I think I would like to do...maybe pediatric, but I still think labor and delivery would be my calling. But then I think, "Do I really want to be a nurse, or is it just that pesky baby fever talking"? I think it's too soon to tell.

But either way, I'm SO looking forward to working in the nursery at VBS in 2 weeks. That way, I can get my baby-fix. At least temporarily... :)

3 comments:

  1. Your blog has touched me. I don't already have kid(s) yet, but I want one. My husband and I decided to wait five years. I wanted to teach for a few, and my husband's job didn't allow him to be home for long. (He's a chemical engineer, and was out in the field alot.) Once we decided to start trying, while I was finishing up my last job, I thought I'd get pregnant as easy as pie. It was a year and we went to the ob/gyn. When he head what was going on he put me on a fertilty drug that takes up to 6 months. I realized that my husband's younger brother was going to be a Daddy first, and that was fine. But when I started to truely try, and everyone else seemed to be expecting but me, it hurt. I have a cousin who was put on the meds I am on. It took her 3 months, and I'm not on my 3rd as well. Luckily she has a brand new baby girl; she's a premie and fighter.

    Sorry that my comment is lenghthy. I just wanted you to know that it helped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think 'baby fever' is why my mom, after having 3 of her own, became a foster parent because she started out keeping newborns. 36 years later, she's been a mom to 120+ babies/toddlers and Dom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Tracy...you are an amazing woman. You are doing such a wonderful job at being mom, wife, teacher, etc etc etc. You are such an inspiration. Whatever your heart desires, I hope you get. I am rooting for you in all ways, lady :) You make me smile! -Love Nikki D.

    ReplyDelete