Saturday, July 3, 2010

BTW...

Text speak is everywhere! It's gone beyond actual texting and has invaded facebook...and actual conversations. Does it make me old, that I just can't get on board with all of the text speak going on? Well, that's not completely true...there are a very select few that I will actually bring myself to use (and I will translate for anyone out there who does even less text speak than I do):
~BTW (by the way)
~OMG (oh my gosh)
~WTF (what the f***)...not anything I would ever actually say if it were unabbreviated, so I'm not sure why I'm OK with this...like it doesn't still mean the same thing, but whatever...
~IDK (I don't know)
~BFF (best friend forever)

One that I never use is LOL (laughing out loud). I don't know why I'm so against it. Maybe it's because its so overused, or maybe it's because it's misused, IDK. But rarely, will I actually laugh out loud at something I read. And I understand that it doesn't have to be used literally, but I still just can't bring my self to use it. Oh, well.

Here are some others that I know, but don't use (not for any particular reason...I just don't):
~ROFL (rolling on the floor laughing)
~LMAO (laughing my a** off)
~CUL8R (see you later)
~TTYL (talk to you later)
~ILY (I love you)
~2GTBT (too good to be true)
~B4 (before)

Kevin and I had a rather hilarious conversation with a couple of my cousins earlier this week at a family reunion about this very thing. We came up with a couple of new text phrases that we think might catch on.
~TAC (taking a crap)
~INS IJS (I'm not saying, I'm just saying)
~SOS (sh** out of service)

What do you think?! Feel free to start using these whenever you want...pretty soon the whole world will be TAC whether they're SOS or not. INS IJS. :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts on texting. Are there any you use all the time, or any that you refuse to use? Any that you know about that I left off my very short list?

TTYL :)

2 comments:

  1. I use OMG and WTF on facebook and that's about it. I'm not a fan of ILY-- just think that's something worth typing out ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you blogged about this! Haha I agree with you and the majority of the time I only use these with you and kevin! One thing though...I actually do laugh out loud a lot when I read funny things but I NEVER use LOL...I hate that one! I just use hahaha :D Anyway keep up the blogging! I love it! And btw ;) HYHAGD! (Hope You Have A Good Day!)

    ReplyDelete