Thursday, February 25, 2010

Deep Thoughts...

Do you remember that segment they used to have on Saturday Night Live..."Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy"? Then you also know how they weren't actually deep thoughts at all, just random weird thoughts. Well, these aren't really going to be like that. They are going to be more on the serious side of things.

~Inadequacy or Humbleness~ Definitely inadequacy. I am confident that I am pretty decent at most of the things that I do. But I don't think I can honestly say much more than that. Some people might call that being humble. But isn't being humble when you down play the fact that you know you're really good at something? Well then, that isn't the case for me. Not that I'm feeling sorry for myself, either. I've come to terms with that fact.

~I am very fortunate to never have experienced deep personal loss. I've lost the parents of some friends of mine (one of which was like a 2nd mom to me). 3 of my grandparents died when I was too young to remember them. My aunt died 2 1/2 years ago, but with her in South Dakota and us in Texas, we never had a chance to get close. Kevin's uncle died last year. And the daughter of a cousin of mine died when she was a baby. I only met her once, but I did feel a connection with her. This is not to say that I wasn't VERY sad and affected by these. But I just know that what I felt is nothing like what the children, parents, brothers, and sisters of these people felt. And with all of this, I've only ever been to 4 funerals. Yes, I cried a lot at each of them, but like I said, it doesn't compare to the ones that were truly truly close to these people. And for that I am thankful.

~Inspirations~ I get inspired by a lot of things. Sometimes a good song or even a movie will do the trick. Although I don't do it often enough, when I read the Bible I am inspired and filled with hope. When I go to church, I leave feeling inspired and at peace. But mostly, I get inspired by people. My kids inspire me to be a better mom, because they deserve the most that I can give them. My mom inspires me (by having modeled it my whole life) to be a better wife, mother, sister, and Christian. My dad inspires me to take pride in my work and never to do things half-assed, as he would say. My friends inspire me to find the humor in all of the crap that each day brings. Sheila and Joel inspire me to strengthen my personal relationship with Christ while not letting go of my sense of humor and sarcasm. Kevin inspires me to believe in myself and not take myself for granted.

~Peace Maker or Push Over~ I don't know. I tend to bottle up my frustrations. I do this usually because, I figure it's not worth the confrontation. I don't do well with confrontation. I suck it up, and move on. There are a few things that I try to stick to my guns about, though. But even then, I feel like I end up giving in more often than not. So rather than fight (or in my case, cry) about it, I leave it alone, and get quiet and pouty. So am I a peace maker, because I avoid conflict, ignore a lot of things, and accept the fact that I'm not going to get my way? Or am I a push over because I back down and put up with things that I don't want to argue about? I think the jury's still out on that one.

~I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

........OK, that one wasn't mine. That was Jack Handy's. But I figured we could use something light-hearted to bring this post to a close.

:)

3 comments:

  1. Repressed anger and avoidance are underrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well those were certainly some deep thoughts! I can identify wiht the push over or peacemaker myself. I hate confrontation so much, that for most things it is just not worth get my undies in a bundie. Thnaks goodness most of the time I can just let it go. Sometimes my daughters say.. mom you are such a push over and that is when I say...no honey I am a peacemaker and sometimes it takes more strength to shut your mouth then to say what it is that we ALL want to say. So some say push over and some say peacemaker... I say it takes all kinds to make the world go around and I guess I am just lucky that most of the time my feathers do not get ruffled too easily, or my undies stay out of bundie... that is most of the time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good post. I think push over vs. peace maker is a good subject. fight or flight, pick your fights, many things come to mind. I don't know if either is completely true. Micheal J. Fox was the advisor to the President in American President and one of the lines I love in that movie is when the Pres (mike douglas) says "you fight the fights you can win" to which MJ says no, "you fight the fights that need fighting" When its something that matters, you will fight.

    ReplyDelete