Saturday, September 11, 2010

An Ode to Fall...

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways (in no particular order):

1) Football: OK, so maybe my Cowboys lost last night, but that's OK. It was a crappy game, and #71 (whom Jerry Jones needs to fire, by the way) was probably about 1/3 of the problem. If not for his penalty on the last play of the game, we could have (would have) won. That's not to say it was all his fault...there were a lot of mistakes made. But anyway, at least the Longhorns have won both of their games. Even my high school team, the Cooper Cougars, has won both of their games. It's early, and I have faith in the Cowboys. I just love the excitement of it all!

2) New TV: Yes, I watch too much of it, but I don't care. It makes laundry, grading papers, and even the rare times I get to just lay on the couch much better. Although 2 of my all-time favorites (LOST and 24) are not coming back, I am still looking forward to the return of: Grey's Anatomy, Brothers and Sisters, Parenthood, The Middle, Modern Family, Cougar Town, How I Met Your Mother, Desperate Housewives, Community, Fringe, Private Practice, Glee, and I'm sure there may even be more that I'm missing. I'm so excited!

3) Cooler Weather: Don't laugh. I know it's still plenty hot. But at least we're not in the triple digits anymore! And besides, this is only the beginning. I love a crisp chill in the air and wearing jackets & sweaters. So yes, it's not cool yet, but it won't be too much longer...I can't wait...I hate being hot!

4) Soups: I can eat canned soup and soup from restaurants all year long, but I just don't feel right about making my delicious homemade soups until Fall and Winter. My stand-by's are Bacon Cheeseburger Soup and Chicken Tortilla Soup. But last year Ialso found pretty good recipes for Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup and Broccoli Cheese Soup. I just love all of the chopping that's involved. Yum...I can almost taste it now.

5) Holidays: 2 of my 3 favorite holidays are in the fall...Halloween and Thanksgiving. I just love how excited the kids get at Halloween. I enjoy planning and making (at least partially) their costumes. And I love the colors and decorations, too (although I don't have much). As for Thanksgiving, it's a close 2nd to Christmas. It has all of the same good food and the same good family time, but it's a bit more relaxing...plus it's got the Cowboys. (But Christmas is just Christmas, and it just doesn't get better than that.)


Those are some of the reasons why Fall has become my favorite season (and let's not forget the colors and scents that come along with this season...they're delightful)! Yes, I know it's not technically Fall yet...but it's close enough.

So now it's your turn...tell me about your favorite season and why you love it.

3 comments:

  1. I love all of the seasons except for winter. The only thing that saves winter is Christmas. But spring is wonderful because of the warm weather, and soft breezes, and the escape from the awful winter ;) And summer is glorious for the tank tops, flip flops, layin' by the pool, and sunburns. And fall is fantastic for the cooler, but not cold!, weather, and the fall festivals, and football, and halloween, and Thanksgiving. Let's just delete January and February and I'm a happy girl ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, talk about great minds thinking alike! You nailed it.
    Fall has got to be the best. If for no other reason than the colors. I can't wait to buy a couple of big pots of fall mums to put out by the mailbox.
    Near the top of my bucket list is to go to New England in the Fall just to drive through the countryside and relish the autumn colors. Hey, it'd be a great ride on the bike, I'm thinking...
    I've got a sudden urge to bake something that smells of apples and cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete