Saturday, April 24, 2010

Firsts...

Let's open up a little bit and talk about some firsts. I'll get the ball rolling, but then I want to hear some of yours, too!

First Celebrity Crush
Patrick Swayze...oh, man. I was in 2nd grade. I think it may have had more to do with the fact that my older sister, Jaime, and my mom had a thing for him. But I joined the band wagon, and I mean really...who wasn't on that band wagon back then. I got my first poster of him from my 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Caples. There was some kind of "celebrities for education" program and he was the spokesperson one month. I guess I had mentioned my crush in class a few times, because when they got the new posters with the next celebrity for the next month, she gave me his. And looking back, as a 2nd grade teacher myself, I think that was probably pretty weird. I mean, I don't go around giving the girls in my class posters of Zack Effron or the Jonas Brothers, or anything. But then there was that one poster (you know the one I'm talking about) of him in the overalls, half undone, sitting down with his chest glistening with sweat...it was delightful.

First Kiss
This one's far too embarassing to publicly share. But there are several of you who will read this and remember me coming to you, describing how it happened, and asking, "Ugh...is his tongue really supposed to fill up your whole mouth and just flop around like a dying fish?!" It was NOT good.

First Job
After applying at literaly 32 different places, I walk in to turn in my application at Pizza Hut and get interviewed and hired on the spot. I started out as a CSR (customer service representative), better known as a "phone girl". Due to my incredible skills on the phone, I quickly move up to waitress. I was pretty awesome at it. I really had a great time at that job. I enjoyed almost all of the people I worked with (everyone but Paula...the day time buffet waitress...she was trashy and down-right mean). I made pretty good money on tips and even got a couple of phone numbers. The most shocking, though, was when I was waiting on this family of 5. Everthing went fine, I got an average tip, and while the mom was getting the 3 kids cleaned up and ready to leave, the dad came up to me (within eyesight of his wife) and gave me a napkin with his phone number on it and told me to call him sometime. I was floored! It was also the place I met Kevin. I was waiting tables when he came in to interview for a delivery position. I know, super cute isn't it? A waitress and a delivery boy...it's the stuff movies are made of.

First Date
Well, this one's tricky. What I thought was my first date was actually just me being friends with a guy who was in the closet. I didn't find out until the next year that it wasn't actually a first date...because that was when he came out...and then did my hair for prom! So, I guess my actual first date (as lame as it may be) wasn't until I was 17...my senior. year. I went to a movie with a guy named Dakota (who actually may be reading this right now, so that's kind of weird). Who knows, I may find out that it wasn't technically a date either. But anyway, he came to pick me up in his old white checker cab, which everyone called "The Shaggin' Wagon". So, there I was thinking Dad would be all tougher-than-nails. But actually, he went out front and talked cars for a few minutes before we actually left....no big deal. We went to the move had some good old fashioned "is he/isn't he...should I/shouldn't I" hand holding moments, and a sweet kiss at the door when he dropped me off. Not more than 2 weeks after that, I went on my first date with Kevin. And the rest, as they say, is history.

First Car
My first car was a '96 Ford Explorer. I bought it in 2000. I put $4,000 down (and that's the only time I've ever had money to put down on a car), and had payments of $230/month....pretty sweet. It was white with a tan leather interior. There was a 6 disk CD changer in the console with a remote to use for changing the CD's/songs. I really loved that car. It got me to and from Abilene and San Angelo for 6 months. It got me from back and forth between Denton and Lewisville for school and work. It made a drive to South Dakota and back, and it safely took Cakes and me on our 4,000 mile honeymoon road trip. It also carried me safely through my first 7 months of my first pregnancy. It was a great car.


OK, so you've all either learned a little bit more about me or taken a little trip down memory lane. Now it's your turn. What are some of your firsts?!

5 comments:

  1. Oh the memories! I remember that kiss! hahaha.

    I blogged my firsts too. Great post (well yours was...and mine is too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First celebrity crush...Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates on Rawhide. So-o-o-o cute! And a cowboy to boot!

    First kiss...I gave a boy a May Basket in first grade (remember those anyone?) If you got caught leaving the basket then the person you were giving it to had to kiss you. He did, but not until I made him chase me 2 or 3 blocks first! Now that one doesn't really count in this context, so my first "real" kiss was when I was a Freshman. His name was Wayne and it was very, very sweet.

    First real date....I was 17 also, a Junior and got asked to the Sweetheart's Ball...his name was Wayne. Yep, same guy. I had only two dates in high school and the second one was not pleasant. Russian hands and Roman fingers, if you know what I mean!

    First job...we aren't talking babysitting, that doesn't count either. Susan worked as secretary for the Superintendent of Rural Schools. When she graduated, I got her job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first celebrity crush was also Patrick Swayze! I don't think there's a single movie I've seen more times than Dirty Dancing. I had the soundtrack and would play it in my room, pretending I was Baby. Then I'd run and jump off my bed and imagine I was doing the dance lift at the end of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just remembered something. In all my dreams of Clint Eastwood (or Rowdy as I called him), I was never the Rancher's daughter or the schoolmarm...I was always the saloon girl.?! Hmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Mom, you never could get yourself out of the back seat of a car, could you?!

    ReplyDelete