Friday, April 2, 2010

Easter Weekend...

Here's The Plan

Friday:
~ Take a 1/2 day from work and get the kids to Good Friday mass.
~ Get a head start on laundry.
~ Make delicious and colorful Easter sugar cookies.

Saturday:
~ Wake up early and get Mason to his soccer game.
~ Dye Easter eggs.
~ Get Hannah to her friend's birthday party.
~ Take care of last minute erands.
~ Make blackberry wine cake.
~ Make sweet tea.
~ Finish laundry.
~ Get Kevin to help me clean the house.
~ Hide the Easter eggs and the Easter baskets (complete with a series of riddles for the kids to use to find the baskets).
~ Go to bed at a reasonable hour.

Sunday:
~ Wake up early to find the previously hidden eggs and bakets.
~ Get everyone gussied up for Easter mass.
~ Get to church on time (which means early).
~ Go home and start a mini marathon of cooking a meal for 11-13 people: ham, rolls, broccoli rice casserole, green beans with bacon, mashed potatoes with gravy.
~ And have it all go off without a hitch.



Here's How it Really Happened

Friday:
~ I did take the 1/2 day from work, and I got the kids and myself to Good Friday mass. Apparently the church thought it was summer already...the AC was on full blast...the kids and I froze...and they complained the entire time.
~ I got a head start on laundry...not much else to say there.
~ The kids and I made sugar cookies. You might notice I left off the word delicious. Well, when we came to the part where we add the salt, I thought to myself "Wow...2 teaspoons is a lot of salt." So I checked and double checked the recipe. Yep, that's what it said. So, we make the cookies and we taste the dough. Something seems off, so I check the recipe again. Yep, 2 teaspoons. We roll, cut, bake, and decorate the cookies. OK, the frosting helped, but they're definitely a bit salty. So I check the recipe again (not that I can do anything about it now), and just as I thought (I can't believe I didn't see it before), the recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Yikes!
~ I then look down at the floor to clean up the crumbs and sprinkles and I see that a drop of blue food coloring landed on my new pink Converse shoes! This sets me over the edge...I'm mad now. But with a little bit of elbow grease and a lot of Spray n Wash, you can barely see it. Crisis averted.
~ But from then on everything else I tried to do either ended up making a mess or frustrating me some other way.

Saturday:
~ We woke up early and got to Mason's soccer game just in time. His team won their 2nd game, and Mason scored his very first goal!!!
~ We dyed eggs without making a mess on the table or their clothes (quite an accomplishment with Hannah and Mason).
~ While Hannah was having a blast at her friend's party, Kevin, Mason, and I ran all the errands we needed to.
~ Kevin fixed the computer in Hannah's room, and then I: cleaned the whole house, continued the laundry, baked a cake, and made the tea while Kevin took a nap. I know, I shouldn't have expected anything else. But in all fairness, he did have to wake up for work at 5:45 (which means that I had to wake him up twice between 5:45 and 6:00).
~ I finished laundry, hid the eggs and baskets, and placed the clues where they belonged while watching a movie, and went to bed at 1:00 (I know...rediculous, right?)

Sunday:
~ I woke up at 7:00 to make orange rolls for breakfast.
~ The kids were up at 7:15 to find their eggs and baskets. They totally loved the riddles they had to use to find their baskets. They both said this was the best Easter ever (of course, that's what they say every year...but whatever). Then while eating orange rolls, they had a very meaningful conversation about Easter. (Here's just a sample) Hannah: Mason, did you know Jesus died for all of us? Mason: Yeah! And he came back to life...he's amazing!
~ We got dressed and ready...and got to church on time! The kids were apparently done being sweet and thoughtful, though. They whined and argued off and on throughout most of the mass. Not to mention Mason being a typical brother and stepping on the back of Hannah's heels on the way to communion
~ We got home, changed clothes, and I cooked from 11:30-2:20. Our company came over, we all enjoyed ourselves, and everything went off without a hitch!
~ I am now officially exhausted (more so than usual), and I can't wait until next weekend.

It was a VERY happy Easter!

2 comments:

  1. Laughed and cried ... i cannot imagine taking all of that on -- the cookies alone would have done me in ... but i am so happy that you had a wonderful time with family and friends .... Happy Easter my dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that you can get to the very end of that blog and say is was a very HAPPY Easter says it all for me. Don't sweat the small stuff and forget the little things that go wrong. The kids, you and Kevin look wonderful, the kids think Jesus is "Amazing", and you got to celebrate with friends.
    Now? Simplify and rest.
    Missed all of you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete