Friday, January 8, 2010

Favorite Things (part 2)...

I'm continuing my positive thoughts from a few weeks ago...a list/discussion of some more of my favorite things. I enjoy them...and of course you enjoy reading what I have to say about them, so here we go!

~ Stand Up Comedy...the good ones ~
My all-time favorites include: Eddie Izzard...Dress to Kill (very crude, but very funny...whether it's what he says, or how he says it, or what he looks like when he says it, it all works together), Ellen DeGeneres...Here and Now (so funny, because it's so true...I can't use a public restroom, eat popcorn at a movie, or get a pickle out of a jar without thinking of it), Bill Cosby...Himself (this one, although I always thought it was funny, I never truly appreciated it until after I had kids), and Dane Cook...Vicious Circle (I know there are some Dane Cook haters out there, but I don't care...this one's funny...crude again, but very funny).

~ Animated Movies ~
I'm a big fan of most animated movies (not animae, and there are a few Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks exceptions). I usually get just as excited as the kids (if not more) when new ones come out. I love the innocence, music, and magical quality of the old school ones like: Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Beauty & the Beast. I love the laugh-out-loud humor of the newer ones like: Finding Nemo and Kung Fu Panda. And I love the creativity and/or sweetness of ones like: Toy Story, The Incredibles, and Up.

~ Church ~
There is something about the feeling I get when I go to mass...a feeling a peace, well-being, and hopefulness. I find the sense of tradition involved in mass very comforting. And when I get to help out as a Eucharistic Minister (when I get to help with communion), I truly feel like I am part of the mass, and I feel blessed to be able to share it with everyone else. We still don't really know anyone at our church...we have yet to make friends there. But I still enjoy going, and I enjoy sharing it with my kids...even when they don't necessarily enjoy it. I know us "crazy Catholics" seem weird to some of you, but we shouldn't. We're just Christians like you are. Yes, we have certain prayers that we all learn and say...but we also pray our own prayers from our hearts. No, we don't pray TO Mary...we are simply asking her to pray for us, like you would ask any friend to.

~ Board Games ~
No, they don't necessarily have to have boards...but you know, not video games. I guess my love for board games all goes back to when I was growing up. I have very many wonderful memories associated with different games. For example: playing Parcheesi with my friend Jennifer and her Mom (I also remember playing her Ouija Board and freaking out when we did), being bored with and losing at Monopoly (it just took forever to play), Brad's friends announcing (unrehearsed and in unison) when playing Taboo that the one thing Jaime would never get was "a date", Josh and I having a virtually unbeatable connection when we're on the same team, the image of Dad so happily pretending to put on pantyhose when playing Guesstures, Joel giving Dad a lap dance while playing Guesstures, Josh drawing a very inappropriate picture under the guise of it being "a raccoon's tail" in Pictionary, and the list of memories could go on-and-on-and-on... I LOVE board games! Who's ready for a game night?!

Well that was fun, wasn't it?! That's all for now, but there may well be a part 3 in the not-so-distant future. I know, you can hardly wait!


2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud. What a great way to start a day!!! Game nights were always a hoot....except for that one time with Dad and Brad that we won't go into. There's a good reason we don't play Castle Risk any more. Or Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon either because Jaime ALWAYS won. That's the same reason we don't play Trivia with Brad. I have only one more thing to say....Bill Cosby! (it's an inside joke, folks)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to play games too! The problem is finding someone to play with me! Game night? :)

    Btw, it is great to have another faithful follower who comments! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete