Sunday, May 9, 2021

What a Day...

 

18 years ago, Hannah made me a mom.  2 days before Mothers' Day.  Today, she turns 18 ON Mothers' Day.  I really don't feel old enough to have an 18 year old.  It feels like I was 18 myself, not that long ago.  While I can't quite say I see Hannah as an adult, I can most definitely say that I see her as an amazing human being.  She is kind, hard-working, responsible, great with kids, and so very funny.

We have made it through 18 years of attitude problems, sass, and eye rolls.  Yes...ALL 18 years had ALL of those things (and yes, I know there's plenty more to come...especially since she'll be an 18 year old living at home who is "an adult who can do what she wants").  But we've also made it through 18 years of joy, sarcasm, laughter, joy, and tears (both good and bad).  The hugs have grown fewer and fewer to now pretty much non-existent.  She says she's just doesn't like hugs.  Not even from her friends (her BFF is the only exception).  And for someone who (much to my parents' chagrin) has always been a hugger, this is a tough pill to swallow.  But I hold out hope that the hugs will return in a few years after she's been out on her own.  Or maybe it will take longer...like after she's had kids of her own.  But either way, I'll be here with years worth of hugs to make up for when (if) she's ready.

She will be graduating in 3 weeks.  I've been surprisingly unemotional about it all.  Maybe it's because she's staying here and going to the community college, so she's not actually leaving.  But I have a feeling it's just because it hasn't really hit me yet.  I'm pretty sure there will be tears in 3 weeks.

For the last 18 years, I have been becoming more and more like my mom.  And I couldn't be happier about it.  She is the most amazing example of faith, wifely devotion, motherly love, grandparenting joy, all-around kindness, and humility.  She is a friend and a rock.  She is my safe place.  If I am even half the mother she is, I'll count my parenting as a success.

Happy 18th Birthday to my sweet Hannah.  Happy Mothers' Day to my sweet Mom.

 
  







No comments:

Post a Comment