Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Star-Crossed Lovers...

So, Kevin and I took the kids to see Gnomeo and Juliet on Sunday.  I thought it was very cute.  It got me thinking about the other versions of the play that I have seen. 

We had to watch (I mean got to watch) the original 1968 version in my Freshman year of High School.  Despite the nude scene, which we were warned to act maturely about, I found it to be very dull and slow moving.  And it did little to nothing to help us understand what Shakespeare's words meant.

The next year, though, Romeo + Juliet was released.  It was the version with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes.  I found it to be the exact opposite of the original.  In other words, I actually thought it was entertaining.  And I found that the acting made Shakespeare's words very easy to understand.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if it was a bit weird at times.

I found this website that compares the 2 movies, if you're interested.

It has also gotten me thinking about other stories/movies that share the star-crossed lovers theme.  Here are the ones I came up with:

* West Side Story
* Twilight
* Titanic
* Dirty Dancing
* Tristan and Isolde
* The Notebook

How about you?  Are there any others you can think of?  Or do you have any thoughts on Romeo and Juliet?

2 comments:

  1. I really had to do some thinking on this one. But how about these?
    Dr. Zhivago (before your time)
    City of Angels
    Gone with the Wind (Rhett and Scarlett)
    The Lake House

    ReplyDelete