Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Summer Book List...

Since I tend to be quite busy during the school year (both actually, genuinely busy as well as just preoccupied with too much TV), I usually save the bulk of my reading for during the summer. I might find time to read a book or two during the year or over Christmas or Spring Break, but for the most part, summer time is reading time.

I don't really know that I have a specific genre that I love. I really enjoyed the first few Janet Evanovich books (which are mysteries with some comedy and a love triangle thrown in). My favorite author is Nicholas Sparks (I won't call those books romance, because that brings to mind tawdry Harlequin romance. I will describe his books as love stories.), but I'm all caught up with him...I've read them all. As you all know, I am a big nerd. This, of course, means that I have also loved the Harry Potter and Twilight series (which, just in case you have fallen off the face of the planet, are fantasy...magic, vampires, suspense, and love). Last year, I was introduced to Dennis Lehane (he wrote Shutter Island and Gone Baby Gone), Jodi Picoult (she wrote My Sister's Keeper), and Jennifer Weiner (she wrote In Her Shoes). So, I'm kind of all over the place as far as genre is concerned.

Right now, I've got a list of books/authors that I have in mind. Here's what I've got so far:

~ The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo: by Stieg Larsson
~ A Drink Before the War: by Dennis Lehane
~ Good in Bed: by Jennifer Weiner
~ Handle with Care: by Jodi Picoult
~ Bitter is the New Black: by Jen Lancaster

If you have heard anything about these books (or have ever read them yourselves), please let me know. If you have any recommendations for me, please pass them on as well. I know that some people swear by Jane Austen. But I figure if I've never enjoyed the movies, or even thought they were that interesting, that I wouldn't enjoy the books either.

I am relatively new to this whole "reading for fun" business (I didn't really start doing a lot of it until about 4 years ago). But I am SUPER excited about hearing what you guys are reading...or what you think of any of the books/authors on my list...or if you have any suggestions for me. So help me out, and let's get our READ on!!

4 comments:

  1. If you have read some of the classics (like Jane Austen)(or seen the movies) one of my favorites is Jasper Fford's Thursday Next series. They're written in a detective style, but it all takes place within the pages of other books. The villains are running around changing the pages of classics or deleting characters, etc. and Thursday Next has to stop them. The books are really smart, light, funny, and very creative. You don't have to have read/seen all of the classics to enjoy the books, but it helps if you are familiar with some of them.

    And, in my opinion, the best book ever written is the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Bitter is the New Black when I was at the hospital after J was born. I got it after the suggestion of a friend. It is hilarious! I loved it! Definitely a great choice. I can't wait til the kids are older so I can do fancy things like read. And sew. And whatever I want. Jk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid you wouldn't like any of the books I read. Some of my favorites are The Gates of Fire (Battle of Thermopalye - think the movie "300"), Starship Troopers (book FAR surpasses the movie), and Point of Impact. (The movie "Shooter") I'm currently divided between re-reading Moby Dick and finishing The Longest Winter. (700 page chronicle of the Korean War) Sorry I'm no help....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yawwwnnn! Oh, sorry, I was just reading Brad's list of books! (I'm kidding! I love that you love to read, Brad.)

    ReplyDelete