Friday, June 4, 2010

Fascinating...

Yikes. First, let me apologize for the long absence. The last few weeks of school tend to leave a person with their brains fried...zero creativity. But as I sit here watching Scooby Doo Alien Invaders with the kids, I'm feeling a bit inspired. I've mentioned before, that there are a couple of things that I believe in and find completely fascinating: aliens and ghosts.

With as awesome as I know God is, and as vast as this universe seems to be, I find it pretty naive to think that we're the only ones out there. Don't worry, I'm not going to get into any scientific or theological discussions right now...my brain just can't handle it. Instead, why don't we just talk about movies?! I know there are many others that I'm leaving off, so if there are any you'd like to add...with an antecdote of your own, please feel free!

Alien Movies

~ The Abyss = Not your typical alien movie, but it is pretty amazing, and it is one of my favorites. But the only way to watch it is if you watch the director's cut.
~ Close Encounters of the Third Kind = Not one of my favorites, but it is a classic. My 6th grade science teacher was also my homeroom teacher. During study hall he would play this movie (when he wasn't playing documentaries about JFK's assassination).
~ Contact = Again, not one of my favorites, but I did find it very intriguing.
~E.T. = A classic! And now, my kids like it, too!
~ Independence Day = Oscar caliber....no. Awesome....yes! "We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!"
~ Star Wars (the entire collection) = Do I even need to say anything?
~ War of the Worlds = I'm SO not a fan of Tom Cruise, but I did really enjoy this movie!
~ Signs = One of the best! I jump every time!!
~ Spaceballs = Pure comic genious!!! "I see, your schwartz is as big as mine."


Ghost Movies

~ The Changeling = No, not the one with Angelina Jolie. This is an older movie. And it's a Halloween theater viewing tradition in Abilene. Cheesy and old...but a classic.
~ Ghost = Awe, I cry every time.
~ Ghostbusters 1, 2, & 3 = Good ghost watching, family fun. (not yet for my kids, though)
~ The Shining = Oh, man...am I right?! "Redrum, redrum, redrum!"
~ The 6th Sense = Really only awesome once. Still good to watch, but it will never be the same. Simply the best surprise ending ever.
~ The Amityville Horror = The old one is better, but the remake is more worth watching... just to see Ryan Reynolds chopping wood!
~ The Blair Witch Project = O. M. G. This was amazing when it came out! Kevin and I went to see it together, and we totally bought into it....totally thought it was real.
~ Beetlejuice = A classic. "oooOOOOooooOOH....uuuh, uuuh!" (Mom and Jaime, please tell me that quote made you laugh!)
~ Watcher in the Woods = Aahh, my first horror movie. And it was made by Disney! I watched it while on a Girl Scouts sleepover party at Embassy Suites. It was scary, and I LOVED it! Come to think of it, I need to watch it again. I don't think I've watched since I was 8 or 9. Oh, memories!


Alright, that's it. Here's hoping I get my blogging mind back quickly. But like I said at the beginning, please feel free to add to the lists. It's always fun to hear what everyone else has to say.

3 comments:

  1. Whenever I think about the movie Communion at night, I still get freaked out...Christopher Walken is kinda creepy to begin with, but specifically the scene where the alien has silently sneaked into his bedroom with their freaky high-tech sound eliminators or whatever they use and it's just standing there at the foot of his bed. Yeah, I'll admit it...I've screamed at my son a couple of times when he came into my room in the night. He's built just like those gray ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot Aliens and Preditor for your alien movies. You left off Polterghiest on ghost movies. Blair Witch Project was one of the worst movies of all time. I don't even think It can count as a Ghost movie seeing how there was an absence of Ghosts. But one Tracy that isn't really a Ghost movie (like BWP) but is still awesome is The Prophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, I LOVE that you think your son looks like an alien!!

    Josh, I purposely left those movies off the list, because I thought I'd leave that up to you and Jaime (since I'm not that big of a fan, and you guys love them so much).

    ReplyDelete