Sunday, February 4, 2018

13 Things...


Today is Mason's 13th birthday, and I am a hot-bed of emotions.  I am both sad and thrilled that he is a teenager now.  I am both longing for the days of his cute speech problems and eager for the days of him giving speeches.  I am both worried and confident, comforted and awed.  And I could go on and on.  But in honor of this day 13 years ago, I will say just 13 things:

1) Mason was an absolutely adorable baby.  He has gone from being that adorable baby to a handsome young man.

2) Mason is an oxymoron.  He is both the jock and band nerd.  He is a creative and flexible thinker while being stubborn and unwavering in his ideas.  He is incredibly sarcastic and incredibly sensitive.  He is both confidently independent and in need of praise and approval.

3) Having 2 teenagers in the house is something I have dreaded and looked forward to for years.  It is terrifying and thrilling all at once, and it has only just begun.

4) I see moments of the child Mason used to be coming right along side glimpses of the man he is going to be and it makes me immensely proud.

5) Mason is projected to be between 5' 11" and 6' 1".  He's still got a ways to go, but he seems like he's getting taller every day.

6) He is delightfully sweet and wickedly funny.

7) He still doesn't shy away from my hugs.  My heart breaks at the mere thought that someday he will.

8) Mason has always taken a lot and put up with a lot from Hannah.  While she is lovely and amazing, she has a mean streak when it comes to Mason.  He is finally getting to the point where he will fight back a little.  But he always stops to weigh the risks of getting back at her when he knows full well it won't end with that, since she always has to get "revenge times a thousand".

9) He is coming into his own.  He is trying to figure out how he wants to carry himself and present himself.  He is experimenting with his hair and his smile.  He is a bit awkward.  But he can laugh at himself and his awkwardness with the best of them.

10) He is truly interesting.  Because he has such a wide variety of interests, he can hold an interesting conversation with just about anyone.  He can talk sports and entertainment, engineering and geography, bit-coin and audio-visual technology, and so much more.

11) Mason is kind-hearted and well-mannered.  He is helpful and joyful.

12) I am already confident that whoever said that teenage boys eat and sleep all the time is right.  He hasn't really started eating us out of house and home yet, but he sure does love a good nap when he gets home from school on most days.

13) While I am clinging to the time we still have with Mason at home as I know it will fly by, I truly cannot wait to see where this life will take him.  He has so many talents and so much potential.  I am sure he will amaze us all while doing nothing less than what we all expect him to do.

Happy 13th Birthday to Mason!!

Enjoy a little trip down memory lane... https://www.photosnack.com/tracycakes615/mason.html




No comments:

Post a Comment