Sunday, January 1, 2017

(Another) 25 Random Things...

I've lost track of how many of these "25 Random Things" posts I've done.  Between this blog and the Facebook notes that started it all, I just don't want to can't keep up.  But as I sit here this New Year's Day morning trying to come up with something to blog about, I can't seem to decide.  So, back by necessity and lack of creativity popular demand, is another semi-random list of 25 things that may or may not be slightly New Year's related...


1.  The last 4 months since school has started has brought a bit of a change in our sweet Mason.  He has started styling his hair, wearing jeans and pants (instead of just athletic shorts), and caring a bit about brands.

2. How 'bout them Cowboys!

3.  The last 4 months since school has started has brought a bit of a change for Hannah, too.  She has started keeping up with her school work, being more responsible with her homework, and learning a bit about how to study.

4.  The weeks that we get off for Thanksgiving and Christmas always make me think about how nice year-round school would be:  two and a half months during the summer always leads to a regression in learning, but if we took 6 of those weeks and added a couple more 1-week, or 2-week breaks throughout the year there would be less burn-out (for both students and teachers) and less regression.

5.  I love it when I make Kevin laugh...like, REALLY laugh.  It makes me feel like a good wife. 

6.  The  Harry Potter books and movies are still among my very favorite things...finishing an HP movie marathon as we speak.

7.  As the new year begins, I am thinking of the famous line from one of Mason's favorite 90's songs, Closing Time:  "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."

8.  It also gets me thinking of the line from one of Hannah's favorite songs from 2016, 24K Magic:  "Hashtag blessed".   :)

9.  So many people just couldn't wait for 2016 to be over, trying to rush the year away.  But being friends with so many people who have lost parents, siblings, and even children; and seeing how desperately they would want even one more day with them makes me want to cling to each day (no matter how crappy) as precious.  So I try very hard to keep myself from wishing time away...TRY.

10.  Hannah has made the top choirs at school for the last 2 years.  She even made All-Region this year.  And we have yet to hear her sing.  I mean I've, of course, heard her sing along in the car and just playing around.  But she's never let us hear her sing for real...legit.  She would wait for us (or ask us) to all be gone at the same time so she could practice in an empty house. 

11.  Mason, on the other hand, is constantly sharing his talents with us.  I think, in an effort, to constantly keep us impressed and proud.  He's always trying to top himself and whatever he did last time.

12.  I stumbled upon this while blogging:

13.  We watched Miracles From Heaven the other day.  I fully expected to cry a few times.  I did not, however, expect to cry throughout the entire movie.  Holy tears, batman!  Make sure you have tissues...LOTS of tissues.

14.  The older I get, the more man-ish my hands get.

15.  Mom gave me a pressure cooker for Christmas.  I'm super excited about it!  I used it for the first time the other night by converting a crockpot pot roast recipe.  I ended up having to add a few minutes, but an hour and a half (start to finish) isn't bad compared to 8 hours.  I've also pinned some Instant Pot recipes on Pinterest (even though mine is the old-fashioned kind), but if any of you have any great pressure cooker recipes PLEASE share them!!

16.  There is a new Pirates of the Caribbean coming out this year.  Can't wait to continue the brother/sister tradition by going to see it with Josh!

17.  I'm in a bit of denial about the fact that Hannah will be in High School next year and will be learning to drive in a year and a half.  YIKES!

18.  As we get this new year started, please keep one of my favorite quotes from Mother Teresa in mind: 

19.  Mason has stopped calling me Mommy.  It's just Mom now.  And it kind-of breaks my heart.

20.  Despite the fact that we are getting old, Kevin and I managed to ride the biggest and best rides  when we took the kids to 6 Flags on Wednesday.  We may have needed 30 minutes or so in between rides to recover, but we're still pretty bad-a$$, right?

21.  Our new house, while awesome, is a bit of a money pit.  #homeownershipsucks

22.  If you have any appreciation for rap lyricism as an art form, or even if you simply enjoy the music, you should watch The Get Down on Netflix.  It's pretty great.

23.  You should also give Hamilton a try.

24.  Anybody else out there super excited about the new Beauty and the Beast movie?!

25.  On this New Year's Day, I am so very grateful for my family and my friends, our health and our home, the things I take for granted, and the job I get to go back to tomorrow.  So, here's to a wonderful 2017:

No comments:

Post a Comment