Thursday, June 30, 2011

Laughter...

"I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person." ~Audrey Hepburn

Thanks to my friend, Shelly, for introducing me to this quote.  It just might be one of my favorites.  It just epitomizes how I feel about laughter.  I've said before that it is one of my all-time favorite things.  Not that that's deep or even unique at all, but it is what it is.  And it is one of the things I love most about Cakes.  As a matter of fact, I've been told recently that this couple reminds people of us:


And I must admit...they are so very us!  I can literally see us having that exact conversation.  We just have so much darn fun together!  We laugh at each other, we laugh at other people, we laugh at our kids, and sometimes we laugh at nothing at all.  Not only has our sense of humor has helped us have some very fun times with each other, our families, and our friends, but it has helped us make it through some difficult times as well.  To paraphrase a quote from Henry Ward Beecher, "A marriage without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs - jolted by every pebble in the road".

But laughter is not only good for your marriage, it is also good for your health.  We all know that "laughter is the best medicine", but did you know that with laughter there is also:
  • a reduction in stress and tension
  • stimulation of the immune system
  • an increase of natural painkillers in the blood
  • a decrease in systemic inflammation 
  • a reduction of blood pressure
It is also said that our cardiovascular and respiratory systems may benefit more from 20 seconds of robust laughter than 3 minutes on a rowing machine.  So does that mean that every 3 minutes I laugh is equal to 27 minutes of cardio?!  Wow, I'm in better shape than I thought I was in.    :)

I guess that's it.  So for now, I leave you with this:




No comments:

Post a Comment