Wednesday, October 20, 2010

THE Moment...

So, I was watching one of our many TV shows last night. The younger brother was asking his older, wiser, married brother, "How did you Know?" You know, when was the moment when you knew that the person you're married to was the one you wanted to be with for the rest of your life. The older brother, of course, replied with a story about an ordinary, nothing special moment when he "just knew" she was the only woman he wanted to eat chili dogs with for the rest of his life. Totally cliche, but still very sweet.


Here's my moment:

It was the summer of 1999. Kevin and I had been dating for 3 months. I don't even think we were Cakes and Cakes, yet.
We went to see Notting Hill at the movie theater in the mall in Abilene. (I know, romantic right?) It was the first of many Hugh Grant movies that we would enjoy together. Something happened during that movie. I don't know if it was the scene where Julia Roberts said, "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her." or the one where Hugh Grant was reading to a pregnant Julia Roberts on that park bench at the end...or maybe the one where we get to see half of that really weird roommate's butt hanging out of his underwear. :)

But when we came out of that theater and got to the car, there was a moment. Not just A moment...THE moment. Call me a walking cliche, but we both just KNEW. Yes, it had only been 3 months, and it's not like we didn't wait another 15 months before getting engaged, but it is the moment that we both knew we'd be together forever.


So, how 'bout it? When was YOUR moment? How did you KNOW?

3 comments:

  1. I don't know when my husband and I knew we'd be together forever. We were e-mailing back and forth during my Senior year of high school. He's two years behind me academically. So it wasn't until I was in my 3rd year of college that he finally got to come down. (A very long story, let's just say I was a secret to my now in-laws at first.) When I saw him again I knew we were going to be together, and he was the one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim says he knew when he was a 6th grader...I guess I am a slow learner because it took me a bit longer (years). For me there was not one moment but instead a series of moments that led to me know that Jim was the one. I can't imagine my life without him.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I was working at a college as a night janitor...You know, cleaning, solving unfinished math equations they had left on the board. It was then, sitting at a bar with ben that I saw her and knew right away......do you like apples? haha
    Notting hill is honestly one of my favorite movies and I never knew that about you two. It's really very sweet. Love ya, Joel

    ReplyDelete